This issue comes up almost every week in our business. Should I hire a professional photographer, or should I use stock photos? There are pros and cons to both, so let’s weigh the pros and cons of both.?
- Control?– you have control over how your photos are taken and how you use them.?
- Build trust with customers?– the photos are authentic and customers have a better sense of who you really are.
- Proven success?– case studies have shown that original photos perform better in ads and social media.
- Google likes them better?– believe it or not, they do help a bit with your SEO and user experience.?
- Cost?– professional photographers can be pricy.
- Time?– sometimes it takes a lot of time to set up to get the right shot.
- Quality?– if you are relying on your phone to do the job, quality could be an issue.?
- Cost?– they can be cheap, very cheap.
- Time?– it’s great when you need a photo right away.
- Quality?– for the most part, quality is not an issue as most images are available in various size formats?
- You don’t own the image?– other companies can buy the same photo and use it, even your competitors.
- They are not real –?customers know when a stock photo is being used. They know everyone in your company doesn’t look like a model.
- Google doesn’t like them as much as original content–?stock images are not Google’s favourite.?
Photography always makes your marketing dynamic. Some photos are not worth a thousand words, some are worth ten thousand. There is no real winner in this debate, but we tell our clients that original is better but a little stock every now and then doesn’t hurt. Ultimately it’s up to you and your budget.